Friday, November 2, 2007

Simply Salsa

To me, salsa is one of the best night club dances, its tight, close, casual and fun. By casual I mean that for those of us who don't have or know great technique, salsa still looks pretty good and dances easily. (I know that there are salsa connoisseurs and teachers who are cringing right now- my apologizes). The rhythm is also fairly easy to follow with the music, as salsa utilizes the down beat and falls in even time. This is unlike some other dances like foxtrot which may get off of the down beat for two-thirds of the time. Salsa is known for its use of spins and pretzel-looking moves(technical term :) ), which Justin Nix and Brittany Slonina demonstrate in the video below.


On a side note, you may have noticed that none of the lessons I record from our dancers have any music. This is because of my very new understanding of the strict rules of copyright law and my lack of desire to get busted this semester. Most of the dancers I film are pretty discouraged by this, after all What fun is dancing with out music? But none of the dancers where as determined as Justin, who dances in the next video.

Whipping out his cell phone he asks 'What if I wrote a song and said you could use it?'. 'Of course,' I answer, 'but we are filming now where will you get a song?' For the record, he has no cds, no ipod, no musical instruments only his cell phone, on which he is button mashing as we speak. I stare in curiosity, but seconds in salsa music streams out of the little phone. The music he composed in spare time with an application in his phone is playing merrily. So it is with great glee and amusement I ask you to enjoy the music; Copyright Justin Nix.

No comments: